The female inventor who is changing the game in ultrasonic wireless charging. She’s the 25 year old founder of Ubeam and she has some pretty awesome advice for young entrepreneurs and inventors.
The following life and business lessons were posted on her personal blog:
- Never, never, never give up. If you believe in what you’re doing and you’re not breaking the laws of physics, then it can be done. It’s just a matter of how and when. Pull as many teeth as needed to get there.
- When given a choice between cheap & uncertain and expensive & more certain, go with the expensive option. The cheaper option usually ends up being more expensive in the end.
- Be smarter than your lawyers and investors. Always take a step back and evaluate potential motivations and agendas before reacting. Always get a second unbiased opinion.
- If something or someone feels off, it usually is. Trusting your gut upfront saves you a lot of time and energy.
- Competition validates the market. Don’t fear it, be better than it.
- Build a product for the world. Don’t build a product to raise money. Do what’s best for your business, your vision.
- Don’t be charmed by anyone.
- Not all press is good press. Not all good press is good press. Press is distracting when you’re building. Squash it if you can if it’s not the right time.
- If your employees, vendors, contractors don’t respect you or don’t care about the company’s vision, you will receive shit work.
- Always have a 1-2 month trial period before hiring someone.
- Always have 2 backup plans. Always try 2-3 approaches in parallel to increase your chance of success.
- Decline all unnecessary catch-up coffee dates.
- Never feel pressured to share more information than is necessary.
- Never let your age or experience level stop you from standing up to powerful people.
- Never let anything slip through the cracks.
- Some routine is necessary for staying sane.
- Don’t share too much with anyone you haven’t known for longer than a year.
- Be extremely mindful about who you spend a lot of time with.
- Force yourself to do uncomfortable things. Mental strength is a muscle. Work it.
- When people show you who they are, believe them.
- Do something everyday you’re proud of.
- Experience makes you savvy, but jaded. Naivete and spontaneity keep you young but can get you in trouble. Balance.
- Always be a student. That’s the only way to keep innovating.
- True lasting happiness and fulfillment come from relationships and environment, not from ego or work.
- Life is only what you make of it. Life is only how you see it. Shape the future. Build the craziest shit you can possibly imagine.